About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Aubree! I'm a lover of all things beautiful, and I'm so excited to share that love with you! Follow me for fashion and makeup tips, tricks, hacks, and reviews!
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Latest and Greatest

Where did summer go? Seems like it slipped right from under us, but I guess that means we've been keeping busy, which is always good. :)

In July, we celebrated the 4th of July up in Lyman. For the most part we sat around and played Dominion for 7 hours straight. If you haven't played that game before, you need to. It's pretty stinkin' fun. The next weekend, we spent a couple days in Bear Lake. We always went there when I was a kid because my Great- Grandma lived right on the lake, so it's pretty nice that I married into a family that goes there every summer! Unfortunately, the weather was kind of crummy, so we didn't get to go on the lake (Rob did for about a half an hour, but then because of the rain he couldn't see...), but just being there and being able to see my Great-Grandma's house was worth the trip.

The following week, Tyson and I took a trip out to Colorado to see family and to have everyone meet Tyson! I was SO nervous taking Tyson on the plane by myself, but he was a CHAMP! He didn't cry or fuss there or back. He loved looking around and was smiling at everyone. He did such a great job. I'd totally travel with him again.

The first week of August, Tyson got his newest addition, his hearing aid!


Tyson has been diagnosed with Unilateral (one ear) severe permanent hearing loss. 

It's law in Utah for every baby to have his or her hearing tested the day they're born. Tyson failed on his left ear, so they had us come back two days later to see if it'd be better. They figured it was just fluid, but they wanted to make sure. We went back two days later and he still failed. They had us bring him back a month later, saying that the fluid would definitely be cleared up by then, and he STILL failed. Robert and I were very frustrated with the Audiologist at this point, simply because she didn't seem like she knew what she was doing and didn't know how to use her equipment (Robert had to help her with a few things...) and we didn't feel that Tyson had any problems hearing. 

She insisted that we take him to another audiologist at another hospital to get another opinion. We set up an appointment for another month with the hospital in Riverton. 

A couple of days before his appointment Rob and I were really having second thoughts on taking him and thought about canceling the appointment. But I finally decided that I'd take him and prove them all wrong.

At his appointment, the audiologist did the same test the other audiologist did, and he yet again failed. She then did 5 other tests and he failed ALL of them in his left ear. His right ear passed with flying colors. She very hesitantly told me that Tyson has hearing loss, and she was positive that it was permanent. I completely broke down in tears. The only thing that kept running through my head was "What did I do wrong?" It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever experienced. 

After some other testing, we came to find that his hearing loss is genetic (from Robert's side), and the nerve that sends sounds to the brain just didn't develop properly. That made me feel better knowing that it wasn't something that I did while I was pregnant. 

After much research and discussion, we decided to get Tyson a hearing aid right away to eliminate the possibility of  him having a speech impediment when he gets older. I'm VERY glad we made that decision. Whenever I put his hearing aid in, once it turns on he just looks and me and beams, so I know that it's making things better for him!

Aside from that, our summer has been very enjoyable. I'm sad it went so fast, but I'm VERY excited for Christmas! :) 

Robert is now going to school everyday in the morning and working at night. It's been a little tough not seeing him as much, but he's doing an amazing job at supporting our little family. He's a very hard worker and I admire him so much for that. 

As for me, I'm keeping very busy with Tyson! He's at such a fun age right row, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

Tyson's now 5 months old, and he is such a ham! A lady told me the other day that he looks like he's the size   of a 12 month old. Ha! Rob and I aren't really sure where he gets it, but he is definitely large for his age. At his 4 month check-up, he was in the 86th percentile for weight, 97th for height, and 93rd for head circumference.  He started eating solid food and he LOVES veggies and oatmeal. He's starting to sit on his own, and he's rolled from tummy to back. He struggles with tummy time because he's so large, but we're hoping one of these days he'll crawl... :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment